Dear Unemployment,
Okay, it's ofish. I'm worried. Anxious, really. I slept restlessly last night waking up with this sense of worry that I just couldn't shake and feeling like I'd drank 4 cups of coffee within and hour on an empty stomach.
Ergo, it's official: I'm anxious. ...about the "u" word.
I've been applying to some jobs here and there over the course of the last couple of weeks, but haven't heard anything promising and quite frankly, haven't been trying that hard. Confession: words like "follow-up phone call", "networking", and "informational interview" make me nauseous. So, I continue this roller-coaster schedule of:
1. having a little gumption and a glimmer of hope that today will be the day I find the perfect opportunity:
2. spending a few minutes or hours searching and applying online:
3. quickly losing any of the aforementioned gumption and hope when I fail to find anything remotely related to my skill-set and/or objectives:
4. becoming exhausted by the thought of the application, interview, proving-I'm-exactly-who-you-want-for-this-position process:
5. rushing to the kitchen to find the nearest chocolate and then escape to my current domestic-diva fantasy worlds of either: The Pioneer Woman or "The Dirty Life".
And then I start thinking about other options besides, you know, the typical job thing. Options like:
- Opening an etsy shop and selling felt garland and one-yard bags.
- Having a baby, because I mean, I'll be home anyway and I just got an immersion blender (so as to make some kick-butt baby food, of course ... among others things, like soup...)
- Opening my sort-of-a-joke-but-no-seriously idea of a popcorn business
- Becoming an ebay phenom and making a fortune by buying low and selling high (ok, maybe not a fortune, but a least some profit).
Ugh.
This is exhausting.
And I'm not even there yet: the "U" word doesn't even officially begin until next week.
At the very least, I can survive off of the eggs the chickens produce and will be relatively clean as I've just finished about six batches of soap. I may be without a job, but gosh darnit - I'm going to smell good!
~Julie
Chickens? Yes, Kyle and I have chickens. 6 beautiful ladies. To whom I have yet to write a letter. I'd intended to do a photo-blog of them for months now .... Maybe I'll add that to my list of Unemployment Goals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dear Julie,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious. And I wish I could be there to talk to you face to face about this.
But don't forget that it is often in times like this when He is asking us to be calm and trust that He's got a pretty good idea of what's going on. One thing that helps me when I start freaking out is looking back at the ways that He's been faithful in the past. Maybe start making a list of rememberance and it can help you trust so much more.
Love you and Kyle and wish I could be there to see you this Christmas. Be blessed and peaceful this season.
-Warren
P.S. Philippians 4:4-7 helps a lot, too.