Thursday, December 15, 2011

December

Dear December,

Well, hello.  How'd it get to be the 15th already?

I have a lot to say, but not necessarily to any specific recipient, so I thought I'd just send a general letter about life recently.

I'm considering doing a weekly list-type post, because 1.) I love lists and 2.) I have specific things to say that fall within a certain category that would be best presented as a list.  I'm trying to figure out how to a.) make this original and b.) make this functional.  I have a friend who writes "Ten Things Tuesday" and I like this a lot because i.) I love alliterations and ii.) it would have to be an even number, naturally.  However, I hate to steal her material, and ten is somewhat of an intimidating number (what if I can only think of eight?).  So... this idea is currently under construction.

Back to you, December.  It's been quite the half of month. 

-You've brought official news of my pending unemployment (a "Farewell Neighb" letter is most definitely in the works), and my first I'm-soon-going-to-be-unemployed-freak-out-pity-party-moment.

- You've brought our beautiful Christmas tree, which I would post a picture of if I weren't in the Inver Hills Community College computer lab.  Single-handedly decorated by Kyle James Oostra.

- I'm an official soap-maker.

- I will officially be done with my first semester back-at-school classes in t-minus 90 minutes.  Hooray.

- The Oostras are now the proud owners of ....  an old-fashioned and fully functional typewriter!  Compliments of Justin Kohorst and the famouse Arneson white elephant party.  (Kyle won this.  I got an oversized hacky sack).*

- No snow.  What gives?  Let's get on that: I'm sick of the dirty, muddy ground.

- And, the official decision (God-willing and the creek don't rise) that I'm going to Nepal.  To visit Laurel.  With Eva. In 2012.  Oh boy! Can't wait.  This has been quite the decision process - perhaps this too warrants an entirely different letter.

- Kyle's amazing performance in the who-knows-how-manyeth-because-we-don't-really-keep-track-of-that-stuff annual Christmas at Calvary.  He's a hottie.  With a rockin bass. Voice.      He has a bass voice.

Well, that's all for now.  I'd thought this might be the month of the Oostra's first-ever Christmas card, but alas it's not going to happen.  I am however, throwing around the idea of a Christmas video-greeting.  Whaddya think?  We're pretty cute, and I have a commanding stage-presence.

Cheers!
Julie

*I had intended to write a letter last month to another new member of the Oostra household: The Dishwasher  (subtitle: The Appliance That Saved Our Marriage), but never got around to it: I was too busy fighting Kyle to unload or load it.  Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Here are some alliterations that I could think of for your list:

    Million Miracles Monday
    Twofer Tuesday
    Weekly Wednesday Winnings
    Threefer Thursday
    Fricken Five Friday
    Six Sayings Saturday
    Seven Sunday...Sayings

    Sorry, was running out of steam by that last one. I want a post about soap making, please! :)

    ReplyDelete