Friday, December 2, 2011

Sisters


Dear Sisters,

You know who I’m talking to.  Not necessarily the biological, and not even the really close girlfriends who are like sisters.  I’m speaking of actual sisters … Sisters of the Visitation, as in nuns.

You’re amazing.  I love you.  And can’t wait to spend a few hours with you tonight.

As I’ve sat here in Sister’s Sludge coffee shop (how ironic!), I’ve debated whether or not to come tonight, or to just go home, go for a long run, take a hot shower, and go to bed at 7:30p.m.  #ohsotempting 

However, more than my body needs sleep (I plan to catch up on that this weekend) my heart needs some care.  Honestly, I just need to sit at the feet of Jesus and be.  Throw off all these unattainably high expectations that I put on myself to be everything to everybody: the perfect wife, friend, employee, daughter, neighbor …  and take a deep breath. 

And you have this amazing way of allowing me to do that.  Every time I walk through your front door I feel the strong sense of peace that can only mean one thing: God is here.  

So, thank you, for having such welcoming hearts to let us girls spend a Friday night with you.  You are all so beautiful.  And I always imagine Mary and Elizabeth's visitation when I'm with you, because when I spend time with you I think I'm experiencing what they must have experienced so long ago:  a much-needed visit from a kindred spirit.  This is especially meaningful this time of year.

See you in an hour,
Julie

P.S. This goes without saying, but another reason I love you so much is that you're the closest thing to The Sound of Music I've experienced this side of the Atlantic, and I love that movie!

P.P.S. I would also like to mention that I often think of scenes from another favorite: Sister Act when I'm with you.  But I don't want to stereotype.


No comments:

Post a Comment