Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Dear Thanksgiving,

You guessed it: the proverbial "thankful" blog letter.  Don't be hater - be a THANKer.

er.

That was dumb. 

But I shall continue:

I. am. thankful.  Are you?

I hope so, because it's worth it.  Thanks to the suggestion of my dear friend Eva, I've been (not-so-consistently-mostly-in-spurts-trying-to-be-disciplined-even-when-I-don't-feel-like-it) keeping a list of things I'm thankful for.  I try and do this every day and a lot of the time it's really easy, because I have A. LOT. to be grateful for.  And sometimes it's really hard, because life is hard, and people are mean, and I'm broken, and I have skewed perspective which sometimes equates to a "world is ending" reaction even though it's really just a broken fingernail.

BUT it's been SO worth it.

Because it brings me out of the circumstantial gratitude and into the eternal gratitude. And it reminds me that looking around at other peoples' seemingly perfect lives is exhausting, fruitless, wrong, and detrimental to my soul and my relationships.  And God says you should do it.  And it reminds me not to take things for granted:

Like the other day, when one of the things I listed on my thankful list was: "Grateful to live in safety and not have to fear being kidnapped by giant evil Gremlins* every time I walk out my front door".  can I get an amen?! 

(You can guess what I happened to dream the night before that.)

But seriously, I am thankful.  Not because my life is perfect or even because it is comparatively better than most others' in the world (though in a lot of ways, it might be), but because God is gracious to me and I'm trying to respond to that appropriately.

So, I hope you too are grateful - I know of at least one thing you could list.  Unless of course you actually were kidnapped by giant evil Gremlins ...

With Gratitude,
Julie

*Are "giant" and "Gremlin" mutually exclusive?

No comments:

Post a Comment