Dear Birthday,
It's no secret. I like you. A lot.
It's taken me a while to admit that - I feel the social pressure to maintain an appearance of humility, which apparently equates to insisting that one's birthday is "no big deal". Pish-posh.
I don't think I necessarily make a big deal of you, so much as I just really really like you. Who wouldn't?
You're consistent. Always the same day each year.
You're responsible. Never late.
You're even. Always solid on the 24th - not odd or prime.
You're celebratory. Obviously.
You're beautiful. Fall is gorgeous, so are pumpkins.
You're globally-minded. United Nations Day.
You're considerate. Not too close to major holidays.
You're noble. Feast of Saint Anthony Claret.
So, I'm coming clean: no more pretending that you're "just another day". I'm embracing that you're special and worth celebrating, because I'm worth that too. Jesus said so, ergo it's true.
Thankful for dear friends with which to celebrate. And generous ones who shared gifts, cards, and sentiments. And of course my parents, who are always good for a Birthday limerick (Mom) and a Frank Sinatra-esque rendition of "Happy Birthday" via voicemail (Dad). And to Kyle, who indulges me pretty much every day of the year, but especially on you, this special day.
So, thank you dear Birthday for 26 great ones - here's to many more!
Gratefully,
The Birthday Girl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment