Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cabin

Dear Cabin,

How I love thee.  Let me count the ways:

-The Hansons (they deserve a whole different letter, but I have no idea where to begin...)
-The smells: pine, campfire smoke, birch, lake, outdoors, nature, ahhh!
-Abraham and Gideon.  Cuu.Tees!  What delightful children. Pleasant, funny, adorable.  And, since Aly the Beloved Baby Hog wasn't there, I had the chance for more time with these kiddos. (I say that completely in love, Aly)
-The lake.  I must admit: I'm a lake snob.  I grew up going to Torch Lake, Michigan every summer which is a beautiful, clear, sand-bottom lake that you can still see the bottom of at a depth of 40 feet. I'm still not sure about these mud and weed-bottomed lakes around Minnesota, but Island Lake is growing on me for sure. And, since the weather wasn't warm enough for swimming or skiing - I was forced to enjoy the lake by simply watching it.  And breathing it all in.
-Road runs.  Saw 3 deer and only one other person.  A perfect 3 or so miler.  Sunny and 70.
-Sally (yes, I know she falls into the "Hansons" category, but allow me...) - I don't think I'll ever get tired of her calling me "honey".
-No technology.  I've never brought my laptop, and I turned off my phone for 24 hours straight - lovely.
-Rocking Abraham to sleep with hymns.  He didn't complain about my singing voice and in fact, offered complementary approval with his big, blue eyes.
-The view from the porch bed.  I love waking up to the sunshine peeking through these amazingly tall trees.  Can I reserve this sleeping spot for myself (and Kyle) forever?  *Dibs*                            
I guess I just did.
-Fires in the fireplace. It's the best of both worlds when it's nice enough to read outside during the day, but cool enough to have a fire inside during the evening.
-Nature. Creation. I'm realizing more and more that God meets me here in special ways.
-Peace.

Here's to many, many, many more years of enjoying you and the people you host. 

I'd rather be Up North,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment